Many people today are still confused about Search Engine Optimization (SEO). So what exactly is SEO? Search Engine Optimization is optimizing your website to attain higher search engine rank positions within Google or other search engines. So what does optimization mean? Optimization is the process of ensuring that Google has a clear understanding of what each page in your site is about and what keywords you want those pages to rank for in Google. So, what is the process of SEO?
1. Pick a strategy utilizing short or long tails keywords.
- Short Tail Keywords include broad one to two keyword phrases.
- Long Tail Keywords include specific three or more keyword phrases.
2. Research popular keywords in
- Top competitors website
- Industry Associations or Organizations
- Your website analysis for comparison
3. Do onsite optimization
- Inserting popular keywords throughout your website, both in coding tags and visible text.
4. Do offsite optimization
- Through a link building strategy. Link Building can be done through back linking. Back linking is the practice of getting links over to your website from other websites.
- Some methods of how one can build back links include article distribution, press release distribution, directory submissions, social bookmarks, comment box linking, or guest blog posts
5. Measure your work
- There are many website analytic packages out there, we recommend Google Analytics, Omniture, or Webtrends. Only through looking at the analytics can one measure what is and what is not working in his SEO campaign and discover where the ROI is coming from.
6. Work on SEO on a continuous, preferably monthly, basis by doing the following
- On Page SEO by constantly tweaking or moving around relevant keywords to optimize your keywords
- External SEO by back link building from other websites
- Upload new content to your website
- Measure your work through the use of analytics